Chicken Potpie

It's freezing here, -40* with windchill. Aaron is at work and I'm stuck at home. My car wouldn't start this morning and I've still got a few hours before AAA will be here to jump/tow my car. I should be doing homework, but I'm not perfect. So I've been cleaning, blogging and pulling stuff out for dinner. We haven't been grocery shopping in a great while, but I was able to find some chicken breasts in the deep freeze - so tonight we'll feast on Chicken Potpie :: a warm and hearty meal.

Chicken Potpie

3-4 chicken breasts, boneless/skinless - cooked and cubed
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 medium yellow onion
3-4 cloves fresh garlic
1 teaspoon ground thyme
10 oz. bag of frozen vegetable medley
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
salt & pepper to taste
double pastry for 9-inch pie pan

Substitutions :: If I'm short on time, I like to grab a rotisserie chicken from the market and shred that up. It adds great flavor. Also, you can use a pre-made pie crust from the grocery store. I like Pilsbury's - it's really flaky and it comes with two crusts, so I use it to make a double crust. Just vent the top crust and brush with milk, egg wash or melted butter.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line pan with bottom pastry and chill in the refrigerator until ready. Melt butter and sauté onions and garlic until golden. Add in flour and thyme. Cook for one minute, then remove from heat. Add in cream and stock. Return to heat and bring to a boil for one minute. Add cooked chicken and vegetables. Allow to cool and thicken. Pour into pastry and cover with top pastry. Pinch edges together and brush with milk, egg wash or melted butter.

Bake 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment