The Bottom Line, no. 1

When Ellie was a tiny baby, Aaron and I discussed cloth diapering but decided against making the investment because custody was up in the air. After Grant was born, I attended a local cloth diapering class hosted by Amanda of Tender Loving Cloth Diapers, LLC.

I hemmed and hawed over what diapers to order. I went to the class thinking I'd get pocket diapers. When I got home, I researched prices and favorite bloggers that I knew were cloth diapering. I really wanted to try the bumGenius Elemental diapers. But my husband was discouraged by the price. He was more interested in Flip Diapers. He liked the price and the 2 piece design (wipe and reuse the cover unless it is soiled by #2).

I originally invested $90 in diapers from Cotton Babies. I searched their clearance section and found 6 Flip Covers with Organic Inserts that were considered seconds (minor imperfections) and the purchased another 6 Organic Inserts. I chose the organic cotton inserts because they are perfect for sensitive skin, overnight, and supporting early potty training.

laundry day - grant's diapers and ellie's panties

Organic cotton takes a lot of washes (5-7 with dry cycles after every wash) for it to be properly prepped. The first few days that I diapered Grant, I was discouraged and unsure that cloth diapering was right for our family. We didn't experience any leaks or blow outs, but I wasn't pleased with the fit of the diaper. Grant has never been a tiny baby, but the Flip diaper was so bulky on him. (It has gotten better as I've learned the tricks on how to fold and stuff my diapers.) Also, I became aware of an awareness campaign on Facebook called Change 3 Things.


I decided that I'd start small with cloth diapering until I got the hang of it. I changed three diapers religiously, until I felt comfortable cloth diapering around the clock. It didn't take me long to make the switch. I finished the last size 3 diaper in our giant Costco-sized box and haven't looked back since. There have been a few times when I've reached for a disposable, but for the most part, you'll find Grant wearing cloth.


grant wearing a clementine flip diaper


If you're interested in starting your own cloth diaper stash, feel free to take advantage of this deal: Shop Diaper Junction to save $5 off your first $50 order - Use coupon AFL550 - Some restrictions apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment